In recent years, teeth whitening has become wildly popular. People want to improve their overall appearance and look their absolute best. That said, there are countless whitening products and treatments out there. So how do you know which are effective and which are more smoke and mirrors than anything else? In this post, our cosmetic dentist in Sandy takes a look at the five most common teeth whitening myths.
- Rubbing fruit on your teeth helps remove stains – Are strawberries, lemons, and banana peels really the secret to pearly whites? The answer is no. The fact is that the acids in these fruits have the potential to wreak havoc on your teeth. Here’s the thing: fruit acids and the acids in other foods cause enamel to wear away. Consequently, your teeth can become discolored and yellow.
- Teeth will stay white forever after a treatment – Unfortunately, professional teeth whitening treatments yield only temporary results. Constant brushing and use of mouthwash won’t do a whole lot of good, either. If you’re interested in keeping your teeth white for extended periods of time, we recommend scheduling treatments every few months.
- Teeth whitening causes extreme sensitivity – Teeth whitening treatments aren’t meant to cause stinging, burning, or irritating effects. Some dentists use a system that’s based on carbamide peroxide or includes amorphous calcium phosphate. Both of these are proven to cause less sensitivity. Should you experience discomfort or sensitivity during your teeth whitening treatment, remember to alert your dentist.
- Whitening treatments make your teeth look unnatural – Are you worried about leaving the dentist office with scarily bright teeth? There’s no reason to be concerned. Professional whitening is a progressive treatment. Not to mention, there’s a specific level of whitening that can be achieved. Ultimately, this depends on what shade your teeth were prior to prior to the treatment.
- Teeth whitening damages your enamel – This may be the biggest misconception of the bunch. You can put your mind at ease knowing that these dental treatments don’t damage the enamel. Now there is a bit of a catch here. You can spend hours sifting through over-the-counter teeth whitening kits at the local drug store. Should you make a mistake with the application, there is an outside chance of damaging your teeth. The major thing we want to note about OTC kits is that they just aren’t effective compared to the treatments administered by our cosmetic dentist.
Teeth Whitening Made Easy
Have you been searching for that surefire teeth whitening solution? Look no further than BeaverBrooke Dental. Our staff is proud to offer a safe, effective solution for dull or stained teeth. During the first appointment, we will take accurate impressions of your teeth, which will then be made into custom bleaching trays. We ensure that the trays fit onto your teeth precisely so that the solution is held against your tooth and any saliva is kept out.
When you return for your second appointment, we will give you the custom-made bleaching trays and the whitening solution. Most patients must wear the trays for anywhere between 30 minutes and two hours per day. You can expect to see significant improvement in the color and brightness of your teeth within seven to 10 days.
Call now to receive the very best dental care!