Here at BeaverBrooke Dental in Sandy, we’re constantly educating young patients about oral health. There’s no question that a child who takes care of their teeth and goes to the dentist regularly is more likely to do the same as an adult. Let’s switch gears a bit, though. How much do you really know about your teeth? Believe it or not, human teeth are remarkable. Here are five fun, yet little-known facts about those chompers of yours:
- People have been caring for their teeth for centuries – You can see on MouthHealthy that the first toothbrushes were twigs our ancestors chewed on. It’s hard to imagine using the frayed end of a twig to cleanse our teeth, but that’s exactly how humans tried to maintain oral health long ago. Then came the Egyptians, who used crushed eggshells and ground animal hooves to clean their teeth around 5,000 B.C. It wasn’t until the late 1930s that modern toothbrushes with nylon bristles arrived. About 20 years later, the electric toothbrush was introduced to the general public.
- Teeth tell stories about our personal history – Human teeth aren’t exactly skilled at keeping secrets. By just looking at a person’s teeth, you can determine their age, diet, and gain insight into their overall health. Think of your teeth as a lasting record of your personal history.
- Every tooth is unique – Pop quiz: how many baby teeth and permanent teeth do we have? If you guessed 20 baby teeth and 32 permanent teeth, go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back. Interestingly, no two teeth are exactly the same size and shape. Human teeth have their own unique profile, varying from one person to another.
- The day you’re born, the crowns of your teeth are already in place – Sure, pediatric dentists don’t notice the crowns of baby teeth coming through until about month four or five. That said, the blueprint for your teeth is present the day you’re born. Keep in mind that the crowns and roots of adult teeth are already forming under those baby teeth throughout childhood.
- Cleaning between your teeth is just as important as brushing – Brushing allows us to easily reach the tops and sides of our teeth. However, a large percentage of people fail to remember that the surfaces between require regular cleaning as well. It’s why our family dentist reminds patients to remove food particles and bacteria by flossing. Doing so keeps your mouth clean and gums healthy.
Premier Dental Care
Not every dentist office offers the same quality of care. At our dentist clinic in Sandy, we are always welcoming new patients. Our staff is confident that when you step into our practice for the first time, it won’t take long to see the difference. While you wait, feel free to relax in any of our comfy, oversized chairs. Our reception area also includes cable TV and refreshments. After your appointment, be sure to enjoy a freshly baked cookie!
BeaverBrooke is your one-stop shop for family dental care, dental implants, veneers, root canals, and more. Schedule an appointment with our dentist today.